The Japanese word "shaberou" means "let’s talk" and Shaberoukai is a conversation night that aims to foster friendship and cultural exchange in a relaxed, informal environment. Attendees include Australian and Japanese people of all ages, and the group caters to Japanese and English speakers of all levels. So come and join us for some Japanese-English language exchange, whilst having fun and making friends!
What you’ll find at our conversation nights:
- Japanese-only tables, for people who want to work on their Japanese conversation.
- English-only tables, for people who want to work on their Aussie English.
- Set conversation topics, for when the ice needs breaking.
- A relaxed and informal atmosphere
- Lots of like-minded people with an interest in language exchange and cultural differences
Shaberoukai is held twice a month, on the first and third Thursdays from 6:30 to 8:30pm at the Ross House Association (247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne). There will normally be a person at the front door to let you in until 7pm, but if not (or if you come late) please press the button for 'Level 4 Front' and someone will come down to let you in.
Attendance is free for AJSV members. Non-members are requested to pay a nominal donation of $3 to help cover drinks and snacks.
As of 2011 a new organising team has taken the reigns and started running a number of events outside of our regular conversation nights including dinners, karaoke nights, BBQs and more! Check the upcoming events to the right or join our Facebook group for the latest news on Shaberoukai events and any changes to venues or dates.